Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Jack's Favorite Salad

I found this on Jill's cooking blog. I love homemade salad dressings and all her ingredients were simple and I had them on hand!
I really liked this salad, and any salad with toasted nuts is super yummy!
I loved the almonds!!
I think I might add some more ingredients next time, like apples or shredded monterey jack cheese.
Thanks Jill for a great recipe!
Jack's Favorite Salad
(jackandjillskitchen)
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
  • 1/2 head Romaine lettuce (I had the spring salad mix from Costco and it worked great!)
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges

Dressing:

  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (she said you can leave this out if you don't have any, may try adding dried next time~I didn't add any when I made it)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • dash tabasco sauce (about 2 drops is recommended)

For the Nuts:

In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook almonds with sugar stirring constantly (about 5-8 minutes)! Really stir constantly and watch, they cook a little faster than I thought!

Cool and store in an airtight container, or let sit on aluminum foil until ready to use and then store. **If cooking ahead and storing, don't use a plastic container the nuts are too hot and they will melt your container.

For the Salad:

Wash and tear the lettuces, mix them together. Mix salad dressing and chill until ready to serve. Add almonds, celery, oranges and onions to lettuce when ready to serve and pout dressing over!

No comments: