Thursday, March 24, 2011

California Chowder

I was searching for a different soup recipe and stumbled upon this awesome soup! Even my kids raved about it being soooo good! And think of all the veggies they got tonight!
If you got a Bountiful Basket in our area this last week, then you have about everything you need! That is what got me more interested in trying this soup out! It has 5 different veggies and was super good on a cold day like we had yesterday!
I made a few changes, but for the most part it has ingredients on hand. If you are missing one of the veggies, you could probably do more broccoli if you don't have cauliflower etc.!
Enjoy!!
California Chowder
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tbsp chicken soup base (I used 2 chicken bouillon)
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 cups whole milk (I used 1% milk I had on hand)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 2 cups diced potatoes
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1 clove minced garlic (or 1/2 tsp granulated garlic)
  • 1/2 Tbsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onions (I used dried onions because I didn't have an onion)
  • 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup fresh broccoli
  • 1 cup fresh cauliflower
  • fresh parsley for garnish

Melt 4 tbsp butter in a soup pot. Add flour and mix well. Add chicken base (or bouillon) then slowly and steadily mix in the whipping cream, milk and water. Bring to a low boil. I stirred frequently to prevent any burning. Add potatoes, celery, garlic, salt and Worcestershire sauce.

Cook for 45 minutes or until veggies are fork tender. It may only take 30 minutes depending in how small you dice your veggies.

Saute onions in the 1/2 tbsp butter for 3 minutes (or just throw in the dried onions) and add to soup along with the broccoli and cauliflower.

Cook another 15 minutes or until veggies are fork tender. Enjoy with fresh bread or we had saltine crackers with ours!

Makes about 6-8 servings!

No comments: