Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments

I found this idea on a craft site and remembered doing this as a kid!
The kids had a lot of fun doing this (and a great activity since the kids are out of school!) and they turned out really great! These ones aren't all the way decorated yet, but so far so good!
The best is that they got to decorate how ever they wanted and I loved how they turned out! I put there initials on the back with the date and they will be fun to find through the years!
Salt Dough Ornaments
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 cup water

Mix salt and flour

Add in 1/2 cup water and mix together (I did this all in my mixer). Gradually add the remaining water and knead dough until smooth. I did this with my dough hook and then in the end kneaded it with my hands in the mixing bowl to incorporate all the flour and salt.

Roll out the dough on baking paper or floured counter top. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or design your own.

Bake at 250 for 1hr-1 1/2 hours, making sure you don't burn them. It took me the full 1 1/2 hrs, but check them at an hour. Let cool and paint! We made ours the night before and then decorated the next day!

Use paint, modge podge and glitter, spray paint, whatever you have on hand!

No comments: