Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wild Rice Soup

I found this recipe on Sisters Stuff blog and had to try it! There is something about soup in the winter, the comfort and warmth of it that is super inviting!
This recipe is very easy, but one step gave me a little trouble! Don't burn the onions! I used dry onions and they got a little toasty and gave the soup a little bit of a burnt taste! So be careful and maybe add them a little later!
All in all it was a great soup and I loved that there were carrots added, but you really don't notice them if you have picky eaters! Also, the rice gave it a different taste and yum yum!!
Wild Rice Soup
(Sistersstuff.blogspot.com)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 medium onion or 2 tbsp dried onion
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 4 cups chicken broth (I am going to add 5 cups next time for more liquid)
  • 1 cup cooked wild rice
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 cup diced ham or chicken (I used chicken but she said both are excellent)
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I think it needs more salt, so maybe 1 tsp)
  • pepper to taste

Saute onion in butter. (Be careful with this step and make sure to not burn the onions!) Blend in flour and cook for 5 minutes. (I am going to do less time, this might have been where I burned the onions) Add ham or chicken, rice, carrots, and salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-20 minutes and enjoy!

No comments: