Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blackberry Cobbler

I ordered blackberries this last Saturday and spent some time searching for recipes to make things with them for fear of them going bad too quick! I shouldn't have spent soo much time doing that because I have only made this cobbler and we ate the rest! Yes we have almost eaten all 13 baskets of blackberries (I only have 2 left!)!!!
I did get this cobbler made and I thought it turned out really good! My husband thought it was a little sweet, but vanilla ice-cream seemed to help! I ate mine without the ice-cream and thought it was great!
So if you have any blackberries, try this cobbler out, I am sure it will be a hit!
Blackberry Cobbler
(All recipes.com, 4 1/2-5 star rating)
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (or 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus 1/4 tsp salt and 2 1/4 tsp baking powder)
  • 1/3 cup milk, room temp
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp sugar

Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 10 inch round or oval baking dish. Set aside.

In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts. Set aside

Place flour (or flour mixture) in a mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves side of bowl. I kneaded dough a little in the ball to get all the flour incorporated.

Roll out to an 11x9 inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up jelly roll style. Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter. ( I read reviews and a few people simplified this part, which is what I did. I split the dough in half. Take one half and take chunks and flatten it out with your fingers until you get a thin layer and place in the butter dish. Do this until the bottom is covered of the dish. Then spread berries on top, sprinkle cinnamon on top. Next do the same as you did on the bottom to cover over the top.)

Pour sugar syrup over the top if you made a sort of pie crust, or pour around the slices if you cut up the dough with the berries.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Take out and then Sprinkle the sugar on top. Bake now for 15 more minutes. Serve warm or cold and enjoy!

No comments: