Friday, August 27, 2010

Dried Pears

The Bountiful Baskets had pears in them! I am planning on canning some, but decided to try and dry a few!
They turned out really good, and what a great snack!
I always forget I had a food dehydrator and I am going to have to try this again.
I even have a tray to make fruit leather!
Dried Pears
(from Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving)
  • Choose any variety of pear and allow to ripen. Wash, peel and core. (I actually got lazy and didn't peel all of them and thought they were fine!)
  • Cut into 1/2 inch slices, quarters or halves. (I used my mandolin, so great!)
  • You can pretreat by dipping if desired. (I didn't do this, but you dip the fruit in a lemon or lime juice. 1 cup juice to 1 quart water. soak no longer than 10 minutes, drain.)
  • Dry at 130-135 degrees until leathery with no moisture pockets.