Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sloppy Joes - Pioneer Woman Style

This is now my new favorite Sloppy Joe recipe!! It was very flavorful and it was very simple. I even made it ahead of time and put it in my small crock pot on warm so it was ready after the soccer game! I halved the recipe for my family and had plenty!
The boys loved them and this is definitely my new keeper recipe!
Sloppy Joes
(the pioneer woman)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1/2 whole large onion, diced (I cheated and used dried onion flakes)
  • 1 whole large green bell pepper, diced (I didn't add this because of the kids)
  • 5 cloves garlic minced (I only had 1 clove, so I added some garlic powder too!)
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup (I added a little more than that)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
  • worcestershire sauce to taste (I didn't add this)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional, I didn't add this)
  • tabasco sauce (optional, I didn't add this either)
  • salt to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Kaiser rolls, or whatever buns you have
  • butter

Add butter to large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.

Add beef back to the skillet and add onions, garlic, and green pepper. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegies begin to soften.

Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add the tomato paste, worcestershire, and tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Spread rolls with butter and brown on a griddle or skillet. Spoon meat mixture over the rolls, topping with a slice of cheese if desired. ( I did this and it was really good!)

Serve hot with chips!

No comments: