Friday, February 10, 2012

S'mores Rice Krispies Treats

 This was a yummy pinterest find!
There is nothing simpler to me than rice krispies!  I love almost nothing more than s'mores!  So why not combine!!
These were a great treat!  I think these could be done almost 2 ways!
  1. Original Recipe way
  2. Make without the marshmallow tops
Any way you try it, they were an easy way to have s'mores in the winter when you can't go outside and roast a marshmallow the real way!
S'mores Rice Krispies Treats
(recipe by Glorious Treats)
  • 3 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
  • 4 cups mini marshmallows (or about 40 regular/large marshmallows)
  • 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 cup Golden Grahams cereal
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Top Layer
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 10 full sized graham crackers, broken in half
  • 40 large marshmallows
Butter or lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan.

In a large bowl, place your rice krispies and golden grahams cereals.  Set aside.

In a large microwave safe bowl, place your butter and 4 cups mini marshmallows.  Microwave for about 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.  Watch carefully depending on bowl size.  My bowl must not have been large enough because the marshmallows started overflowing after about 1 1/2 minutes.

Cook until marshmallows and butter are melted.  Now pour over your cereals and mix gently to combine.  Use a utensil that is sprayed with cooking spray.

Add your mini chocolate chips and then pour mixture into your prepared 9 x 13 pan.  Press into pan.

Melt your semi-sweet chocolate chips in microwave or use a double boiler.  Heat until melted and then pour over top of rice krispie treats and spread with a spatula.

While the chocolate is still warm, spread your graham crackers on top.  I broke my grahams in half and then in half again to make smaller treats!  They were a better size for me and my family!  I didn't use all 10 grahams.  My 9 x 13 pan must be a little different than the original or I just spaced mine apart more.

Put pan into fridge to set, about 10-15 minutes.  Once set, cut into squares (or in my case small rectangles).  Use the lines of your grahams as a guide.  Place on a large baking sheet.

Next you will cut in half your 40 marshmallows, or how many you need to top each graham.  If you have squares, you will need 2 large mallows per square cut in half.  If you made rectangles, you will need 1 large mallow per rectangle.  Get it???

I used kitchen scissors to cut my mallows.  Place each half on the top of each graham (as pictures above).  Now you can toast your mallows.  This is where I think next time I will either not do the mallows, or do them individually as ready to eat.  My mallows didn't stick and fell off after toasting and then the leftover mallows got kind of firm!  You can decide.

When you toast, stick in the oven on broil and don't let yourself get distracted or else they will burn quicker than you think!  Or if you are lucky and have a kitchen torch, you can use that!

Now enjoy your indoor smores!

No comments: