Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chocolate Heart Cut-out Cookies

I made these cookies at Halloween.  They were skeletons!
The cookies were so yummy that I figured who wouldn't love chocolate hearts too!  These cookies are soo yummy that they don't even need frosting~at least according to me!
I do think that it would be a fun Valentine treat to turn them into chocolate heart ice cream sandwiches though!  I thought next time I make these to put ice cream in the middle and then roll the ice cream in sprinkles too!

Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies


2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or use a baking mat if you have one!
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
Slowly add your dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add your cocoa powder first and then slowly incorporate the flour. I used all 2 1/2 cups. Scrape the sides of your bowl as you go.
Lightly dust your surface with flour or cocoa powder and roll your dough out. It recommends to roll your dough and then place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. I didn't put mine in the fridge. My dough wasn't sticky and I was able to work with it right away!
Cut out shapes and place on your baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Don't over bake! Just make sure edges look set!
Let your cookies cool on your baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then place on a cooling rack!
Now you can eat them warm, cool them and then frost, or cool them and make an ice-cream sandwich!

No comments: