Monday, October 31, 2011

Classic Minestrone Soup

I found this in my All You Magazine and since cold weather is upon us, I had to give it a try!
It was simple since you cook it in your crock pot!  The soup has great flavor and very healthy for all you trying to balance the candy intake!  It came out a little thick, so I added more water in the end to thin it out a little.  Either way it was great and will definitely be made again!
Classic Minestrone Soup
(October All You Magazine)
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 ribs celery, sliced
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I used dried onion, just for simplicity)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3, we love garlic!)
  • 4 cups chicken broth (I added 4 cups water and 4 bouillon cubes~next time I will add 5 cups and 5 bouillon)
  • 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with liquid
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup small shell pasta or macaroni
  • 1 cup shredded escarole or kale (I used my shredded zucchini instead)
  • 1 15.5 oz can white beans, drained
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
Combine carrots, celery, onion and garlic in slow cooker.  Pour in broth and stir in tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and Italian seasoning.  Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  I added the shredded zucchini about half way through cooking.

Thirty minutes before serving, stir in pasta, escarole (if using) and beans.  Cover and increase heat to high and cook until pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!

No comments: