Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

I found this recipe on Picky Palate.  She always has fun recipes!  In fact I have heard talk about a cookbook, which I keep watching for more info!
Anyway, I tried these pumpkin bars and they were an instant hit!  Super moist, great flavor and loved the toppings.
This was an easy recipe and worth every minute!  A great fall find for Thanksgiving or any time you need a fall treat!
Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (I used milk, easier!)
  • 3.4 ounce box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a jello roll pam with non-stick spray.

Place cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, pudding mix, sour cream and pumpkin into a stand mixer.  Beat until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes.  I just waited until it looked well mixed, didn't time it!  Pour into prepared pan.  Spread out evenly.

Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt.  Add brown sugar and cinnamon, mix until combined.  (I ended up adding a little more butter because I thought it was too thick to drizzle on.  I think next time I might add less brown sugar instead.)  Drizzle mixture evenly over cake and then take a knife and run it through to swirl.  (Go down the cake and then up the other way and back, etc.!)

Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through.  I tested with a toothpick and waited until it came clean. 

Place powdered sugar and cream into your mixing bowl (which you cleaned while the cake was cooking!) and mix until creamy and smooth.  Drizzle over warm cake and then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.  (I spread my frosting with a spatula to just even out the coverage.)

Refrigerate if not serving the same day.  I did really really like it warm, so I would recommend serving it that day.  The next day I took it out and let it warm up a bit before I served it again!  It was still great, but oh so yummy warm!

Enjoy!

No comments: