Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies

I found this recipe on www.ourbestbites.com.  They have a great site and a great cookbook~you should check both out!
These were fun to make and the kids loved that they were bite size.  I do think next time I will make them bigger!
This is a fun Halloween treat and an easy way to have sugar cookies without all the cookie cutters and frosting too!
 Candy Corn Sugar Cookies
(our best bites)
  • 1 batch of your favorite cookie dough (I used the sour cream sugar cookies that is on this site! It is my favorite!!)
  • yellow and orange food coloring
Optional:
  • Sanding sugar, coarse raw sugar, or sprinkles ~ almond bark or white chocolate, melted (I didn't do this for sheer simpleness~would like sanding sugar though!)
Divide prepared sugar cookie dough into 3 equal parts.  Leave one as is and then color one part orange and one part yellow.  I used my mixer and mixed the colors in that way.  It was pretty simple.

Line a standard loaf pan with plastic wrap.  Gently press the dough into the bottom of the pan.  Start with the uncolored dough and press into the bottom of the pan.  You don't have to fill the pan, just keep it about 1/2-3/4 inch tall or larger if desired. (This is where I messed up!  I pressed mine flatter, which made my cookies bite size!  This is still a fun cookie, but I had wished for the bigger size!)

Layer the orange dough on top and smooth and flatten.  Finally layer the yellow dough on top.  Wrap plastic over the top and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours or put in freezer for 30-60 minutes.

Remove plastic wrap and slice loaf into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Cut each slice into triangle shapes and dip tops (white part) into sugar if desired.  Bake according to your sugar cookie recipe.  Cool completely and if desired dip in white chocolate and decorate with sprinkles!

No comments: