Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork

Here is the picture finally!

Yummy!!

I have a picture of this wonderful yummy scrumptious pork, but my computer is being temperamental and wont let me download it!

I couldn't wait any longer to share, so you get it without picture (but go to http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/ and you can find her picture!).

It is only shredded pork and we have all seen shredded pork, but I have not had pork like this before!

It is tender and yummy and has a slight spice from the Chipotle peppers, which I have discovered that I truly love these peppers!!

My kids ate this fine, it was a little spicy for them, but oh so good! I ate the rest of the left overs today for lunch! In fact I thought about eating lunch at about 10 I wanted to eat this pork! So try it out and hopefully it isn't too spicy for your family!

________________________

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork

(The Pioneer Woman)



  • 1 whole large onion


  • 1 whole pork shoulder (pork butt) roast - 5-7 lbs.


  • salt and pepper


  • 1 can (11 ounce) Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce


  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper (I bought a bottle, like the ones at the convenience store! It was a little less than 2 cans, but I didn't want to buy a case)


  • 2 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.


Peel and cut the onion into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large dutch oven or roasting pan. I sprayed my pan with non-stick spray and clean up was a breeze!


Generously salt and pepper your roast. Set it on top of your onions. Pour the can of Chipotle peppers and the sauce all over the top of the roast. Pour in the Dr. Pepper. Add the brown sugar and mix with the juice. (I put a little Dr. Pepper in a cup and mixed in the brown sugar and then poured in the pan.)


Place lid on pot and set in oven. Cook for at least 6 hours, turning the roast over 2-3 times during cooking. Check meat after 6 hours; it should be falling apart. If not falling apart, return to oven for another hour.


Remove meat from pot when done and shred. Discard any fat. Strain off as much fat from the liquid in your pan and then place the shredded meat back in the pan. Keep warm until ready to serve. I was concerned about it being too spicy, so I put my shredded meat in another oven proof dish and poured some liquid into the dish to cover.


Serve on warm flour or corn tortillas with lettuce, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, avocado, etc. Also good as nachos with tortilla chips! Mixing the meat with the lettuce, cheese, etc. helps the spiciness too!

No comments: