Friday, October 22, 2010

Brunch Casserole

I found this recipe on Tracey B. blog and had to give it a try. It is one of those breakfast casseroles, but it uses potatoes instead of bread.
It was really good and Todd enjoyed it even more the next 2 days as left overs for breakfast. We ate it for Breakfast Wednesday dinner and super good! I will admit that I forgot about the whole make it the day before and cook it in the morning or it would probably work to make it in the morning and let it sit all day and make it at night. But it still was really good even if it only sat for an hour!
Brunch Casserole
(from Tracey B. Blog)
  • 4-6 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns - 1 24oz bag (I didn't have any hashbrowns, so I cubed up some potatoes really small and then boiled them until tender and they worked great!)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar or colby-jack cheese
  • 2 tbsp chopped onion or dry minced onion
  • 1 lb mild sausage
  • 4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (which I left out because of the kids!)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt (it seemed to need more salt, I may add more here or just know to add when eating!)
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp dry mustard

Brown and drain sausage. Set aside. Thaw potatoes (or cut up and boil real ones) and place 1/2 of the potatoes in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (I sprayed my pan, but don't know if you have to do this). Add 1/2 cheese and 1/2 sausage and mushrooms and then repeat layers one more time.

Beat eggs, salt, pepper, onions, mustard and milk. Pour liquid over the top of potatoes and cheese mixture. Cover and leave in refrigerator overnight.

Bake, covered at 350 degrees (I didn't bake mine covered because I didn't read this very well and it turned out fine!) for 45 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!

No comments: