Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lemon Chicken

Whole roasting chickens were on sale recently at my fav. grocery store and so I bought a few! I got home with them and thought now what??? I am not a fan of cutting up chicken or cutting it off the bone, etc.! But I was going to be brave and cook a whole chicken!
I used a marinade for a pasta recipe I posted earlier and it turned out really yummy! The best part being that I put it in the oven about 1 1/2 hours before dinner and had to do nothing else! This recipe marinates for a while and so the chicken was marinating all day and then I just plopped it in the pan!
Besides the cutting it off the bone, it was really yummy and very moist! So when those chickens become a good price again, I know I will buy a couple again and roast another chicken, no matter if I hate to deal with all the parts!
Lemon Chicken Marinade
(adapted from the Basil Street Lemon Chicken Linguini recipe!)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
  • juice of one lemon
  • 2 tbsp parsley
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 whole roasting chicken

Prepare marinade and mix together. Wash chicken and pat dry discarding the neck and other parts that are hiding in there!!! Pour marinade over chicken (I like to do this in a gallon ziploc bag) and marinate in your refrigerator for 3-12 hours.

Place chicken in a small roasting pan or pan with a rack in it. Cook chicken at 350 for 25 minutes per pound of chicken. If chicken starts to brown too fast, cover with tinfoil. You can baste the chicken occasionally too!

Let the chicken sit for 10 minutes when done (internal temp about 185 degrees). Enjoy!

No comments: