Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bread Sticks and Pizza Dough

I found this recipe the other day and had to try it! I have been searching for the perfect or better than what I have found recipe for pizza crust! I like the idea of making your own, but have yet to find the recipe that is good enough to make on your own!
I think I may have found that recipe! You can use this recipe for breadsticks or pizza dough. I got 2 pizzas from this recipe, and had contemplated making one pizza and one batch of breadsticks! I ended up with 2 pizzas so we could have pepperoni and hawaiian. This pizza was eaten and even the leftovers are gone! The crust didn't get mushy and was crispy and yummy. I found a trick that was shared with the recipe that totally helped!
So if you are looking for a good pizza dough, try this one and tell me what you think!!
Bread Sticks and Pizza Dough
from OurBestBites.com
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp yeast
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3-4 1/2 cups flour

In a large bowl (mixer bowl) combine water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.

Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.

Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Remove from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface.

For Pizza dough: Divide the dough into 2 equal parts (this part also depends on the size of your pan). Roll the dough out to fit the pizza pan. Next here is the part I learned. She said on one of her pizza posts that in order to get that good pizza parlor taste and to not end up with soggy or not so good crust, drizzle some olive oil on the top of the dough and then sprinkle garlic salt on top.

Next add your sauce and toppings! I think this made a huge difference from OK crust to really good crust! I cooked mine at 425 for 15-20 minutes or so, I waited till my crust was good and browned!

For Bread Sticks: Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll into a rectangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter.

Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and then drape over your forefinger and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining 11 pieces of dough. Try to space them evenly, but its okay if they're close; pulling apart hot bread is one of life's greatest pleasures!

Cover pan and allow dough to rise for another 30 minutes. When there's about 15 minutes to go, preheat your oven to 425. When done rising, bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Rub some butter on top of the breadsticks (just put a ziploc bag on your hand, grab some softened butter, and have at it!) and sprinkle with garlic bread seasoning or the powdery parmesan cheese in a can and garlic salt. Or you could sprinkle with cinnamon sugar!

No comments: