Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Calico Beans

My grandmother brought this recipe home once when I was a kid! I am sure there are versions of it everywhere! By far this is a great way to eat beans! I saw on a cooking show once that everything is better with bacon! Well this has bacon and sugar and ketchup, what could be better and you are eating BEANS!!
Calico Beans

1 lb hamburger
1 medium onion
1/2 lb bacon
1/2 cup ketchup
1 can each of kidney beans, lima beans, pork and beans, garbanzo beans
(I use the cans closest to 20 oz cans)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar

Brown hamburger and onions together. Cook bacon until crisp. Combine all other ingredients together, rinsing the kidney, lima, and garbanzo beans first. Add your bacon and hamburger. Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


No comments: