Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies

I found these on pinterest!  They are Dr. Seus inspired cookies!
My kids had a great time helping me make them!
They turned out really fun and the best part is I didn't have to frost them and the kids got to help!
This would also be a fun way to make theme cookies.  For example, you could mix your favorite sports teams colors together and swirl them!
Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies
  • 1 recipe your favorite sugar cookie dough (mine is the sour cream sugar cookies on this site!)
  • Liquid food coloring, 5 colors
  • Rainbow sprinkles, or I used colored sugar sprinkles
Preheat oven to recipes temperature.

Make your dough.  Divide your dough into 5 equal parts or as many colors as you want to do.  Color each part the color you want.  We used purple, red, yellow, green and blue.  The original poster said neon colors work really well, I will try that next time!

I mixed my colors in with my mixer.  I didn't clean it in between, so some of the colors got mixed up, but it worked fine.

Now, chill your dough as needed.  Make sure it is good and chilled so that it wont get too sticky as you work with it!

This is where my kids came in and helped!  Now you need to form your different colors into grape size balls.  I noticed that it didn't really matter the size, just that bigger balls made bigger cookies and bigger portions of one color than another just made that color more prominent than the others.

So make your different color balls.  When you have 1 of each color, combine them into a ball, like a multi color beach ball.  Now roll the ball into a snake and then coil together.

Roll your edges into the sprinkles if desired and cook for the time recommended on your cookie recipe!

Super good and super fun cookies!

No comments: