Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Twice-Baked New Potatoes

I ordered, or pre-ordered the new Pioneer Woman cookbook for my sister for her birthday!  Well actually I ordered one for myself too!
I really like the pioneer woman's blog and her cookbooks have been great too!
Potatoes are an easy add to a meal, but sometimes I get tired of the same old baked or mashed potato.  So I tried this and it was a success!  I wont say it is good for you, but it is very yummy.  Another bonus is that you can make them in the morning when you have more time and then do the final bake right before dinner!
It takes a little extra work, but it was worth it in the end.  The recipe made more than my family could eat, but the leftovers were really good once again for lunch!
Twice-Baked New Potatoes
(The Pioneer Woman Cooks Food from my Frontier cookbook)
  • 12 new potatoes, scrubbed clean (I used regular russets, about 6-7)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used the neufachtal and room temp)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated (I used Colby jack)
  • 1 tbsp minced chives (optional if you don't have any)
  • 1 garlic clove, finely minced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

 Place your potatoes on a cookie sheet and drizzle with the olive oil.  Toss them around to coat, or rub them with your hands.  Roast your potatoes.  If you are using new potatoes, about 20-25 minutes is recommended or until they are tender and skins are crisp.  If using russets, bake for about 60 minutes or until tender and skins are crisp.

Now you need to halve your potatoes.  I waited a little to let them cool down.  Use a spoon and scoop out the insides of your halves.  Leave a little bit on the edges to keep your skin in tact and keep its shape.

Put your scooped out potato in a bowl and add your sour cream, cream cheese, jack cheese, chives, and salt and pepper.  Mash with a potato masher until mixture is smooth and taste it see if needs more seasonings.

Scoop your mixture into your potato skin shells.  You can now cover and refrigerate if you want to make these in advance before dinner.

If you are eating now, bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top!  Enjoy with steak, chicken or whatever you fancy!

No comments: