Monday, January 30, 2012

Zuppa Toscana

This is another great find on pinterest.  It is described as better than Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana!
All I can say is soup is really really good this time of year and this soup was definitely really really good!
I will make a few changes next time I make it, and there will be a next time!
I will use less sausage.  We like to have more soup than sausage.  If you like lots of sausage, leave it the same. 
This is definitely a soup to add to my cold weather list! 
Zuppa Toscana
(found on pinterest via
  • 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 lb hot (I used mild) Italian Sausage (I will do 1/2 lb next time)
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups (32 oz) chicken stock
  • 3 cups potatoes, cubed
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 cups kale, in bite size pieces (didn't have this, added shredded zucchini instead)
  • 1 cup heavy cream (used just whipping cream)
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • kids liked saltines too!
In a large pot, cook the bacon until crispy.  I like to use my kitchen scissors and cut the bacon before I cook it!  That way it is already diced.  Drain your bacon grease.  Add your sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks.  Once sausage is browned and crumbled, drain off the grease leaving a little to saute the onions in.  I put the sausage and bacon aside on a plate.

Cook the onion in the remaining small amount of grease.  Saute until translucent; add the minced garlic and saute a little longer.

Stir in your potatoes, sausage/bacon, and chicken stock (or I used bouillon).  Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add your kale (or zucchini) and cream.  Bring to a simmer.  Top each bowl with Parmesan cheese!

No comments: