Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com.  I haven't tried a lot of new recipes lately, still trying to get in the swing of things with sports and school starting!  Fall is coming upon us and I am wanting to definitely cook more as our days of being outside are getting shorter!  So sad to say that too!
This cake turned out really moist and you can't even really tell there is zucchini in it!  A suggestion was to split the oil with applesauce, which I didn't try yet!  I have included the suggestion and I am going to try that next time!  I have included a recipe for a chocolate glaze that a reviewer said was great!  I haven't tried it, I just put powdered sugar on mine, but it had rave reviews from others!  So if you have found yourself buried in zucchini, give this treat a try!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake III

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil (or 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup applesauce)
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan or bundt pan with spray and flour.  I would definitely do this!  I even had a hard time getting it out this way!
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Add the eggs and oil, mix well.  Fold in nuts and zucchini until evenly distributed through bowl.  Pour into prepared pan.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely and top with powdered sugar or chocolate glaze.
Chocolate Glaze

2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp Karo syrup
2 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk (or more depending on consistency desired)

Mix all ingredients together and pour over cooled cake!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have never had zuccinni cake before, but it looks delicious. I think i need to give it a try!

Dont forget to enter my $100 Nordstrom gift card + Nars Polish Giveaway!