Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers

I planted banana peppers this year in my garden.  I didn't plant much since we got our garden in so late, but the nursery had banana pepper plants and I decided why not!
My family likes peppers on their sandwiches and even in salads.  So I did a little searching on the Internet for a recipe.  Well I found one with RAVE reviews and 5 stars everywhere!  I have now officially tried it and it smells right and was super easy.  I haven't tried them yet because you have to wait 2 weeks before you can eat them.
I am sharing for any of you looking for a recipe, you might want to try this one.  It takes quite a few peppers to fill a pint jar, so you can use 1/2 pint jars too.

Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers

Ingredients:
     1/2 lb banana peppers, seeded and sliced cross ways into rings (about 2 cups cut peppers)

Pickling Juice:
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp celery seeds
  • (I added a cut up clove of garlic too!  A lot of other recipes had garlic in them, so that was my addition to this recipe!)
Directions:

      Sterilize 2 1/2 pint jars, or 1 pint jar.  (I usually put them through the dishwasher right before I need them.  I had already washed my jars that way and so this time I just put my jar in boiling water on the stove for 5 minutes and then used it!)

     Bring the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed to a rolling boil.

     Place the cut up peppers into the sterilized jars.  Pour the hot pickling juice in the jars.  Bring liquid to about 1/2" of the top and make sure the edge of the jar has no juice on it or that you wipe the top of the jar.

     Place lids and screw on the bands finger tight.  Seal jar and leave for 2 weeks.  I just did one jar and want to try it right away, so I didn't water bath it and am git in the refrigerator to try in 2 weeks.  I saw on other recipes to water bath the jars for 10 minutes to process.

     I hope someone else out there tries this and I will let you know in 2 weeks how this one turned out!

No comments: