Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stacked Tacos

I was desperate for a recipe to use hamburger and I stumbled upon this recipe. It is a new twist or spin on an old fav.~~TACOS! I really liked the crispy shells and stacking it together. I will say that next time I will only do 2 layers (3 were just too many to eat) for me and 1 layer for the kids instead of splitting one up! I also halved the recipe for me and still have leftovers!
Very easy and ingredients you have on hand. I didn't have tomato soup on hand and it seemed to turn out fine to me!
Stacked Tacos
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 2 (8 oz) cans of tomato sauce
  • 2 (14.5 0z) cans of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 can condensed tomato soup
  • 2 tbsp taco seasoning
  • fajita sized flour tortillas
  • grated cheddar cheese
  • chopped lettuce
  • sliced olives
  • sour cream
  • guacamole

Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain.

In a large soup pot, add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salsa, tomato soup, and taco seasoning. Stir well. Add ground beef, mix in, and allow mixture to simmer for 1 hour to blend flavors. (the mixture will be quite soupy)

Heat a small amount of cooking oil in a skillet. Pan fry each tortilla in hot oil until brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel.

To serve: Place a tortilla shell on each plate. Add 1/4 cup of saucy meat mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Place another tortilla on top. Place 1/4 cup sauce and cheese on that tortilla. Repeat one more time. You should now have a stack of 3 layers. Then top with lettuce, olives and a dollop of sour cream. Makes 10 stacked tacos.

**The saucy meat mixture freezes well.

No comments: