Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rhubarb Cobbler

I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman and decided I just might need a rhubarb plant after all!  This was a great summer dessert and had great flavor!  It was easy to make and yummy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!  I do think next time I will chop up my rhubarb in bigger chunks and also not use all the dough.  I had lots of dough and piled it on, but it ended up not getting all the way done on the bottom of the layer!  I also might add more rhubarb next time too!  Definitely a keeper and a summer treat!!

Rhubarb Cobbler
(The Pioneer Woman)
  • 4 cups chopped rhubarb (or maybe more!!)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional, but I added this)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup whole milk (I used what I had on hand~1%)
  • 1 egg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, combine chopped rhubarb, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, lemon juice, and almond extract.  Stir and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, and baking powder.  Stir together and then add the shortening and butter.  Cut together with a pastry cutter or you could use a fork also.

Beat egg and milk together.  Pour into flour mixture and stir together with a fork until combined.

Pour rhubarb into a greased baking dish (I used a pie plate).  Make sure to get all the juices out of the bowl!  Tear off pinches of the dough and drop it onto the surface of the fruit, creating a cobbler texture.  Sprinkle additional sugar over the top.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream!  It is also good cold the next day!!

No comments: