Thursday, July 7, 2011

French Toast

I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman and decided to give it a try!  (She makes hers with a berry butter, which I may try later!)  It is just french toast, but she does it a little different.  She only used egg yolks.  She said on her blog you haven't lived if you haven't tried it this way!  I decided to try it when she described the yucky blobs you can get on french toast when the whites on the egg don't get mixed in.  You know when it makes cooked egg on the sides of your french toast or when you have a blob of it on the bread!  I absolutely hate that! 
So this was the recipe for me to try!  It was good, no blobs of yucky egg white and had great flavor.  She cooks with half and half, but I think you could get away with just using milk!!
Try it both ways for breakfast or as we did for our Breakfast Wednesday Dinner!
French Toast
(The Pioneer Woman)
  • 1 loaf of sourdough french bread
  • 4 whole egg yolks (just the yolks!!!)
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsps vanilla
  • zest of one lemon (which I didn't add!)
  • Sifted powdered sugar for on top
  • Syrup!
Cut your bread into 1/2 inch thick slices or buy the already pre cut bread.  In a dish combine the egg yolks, half and half, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest if you are adding.  Whisk to combine.  Dip bread slices in mixture, coating both sides and cook on a griddle or skillet over medium heat.  Brown both sides and remove to a plate.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and pour yummy maple syrup on top!  ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

Just have to add that I made this again and this time just used 1% milk and not half and half! Just as good in my book!! At least I feel healthier eating it!