Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Haystack Cookies

I found this recipe on JackandJillskitchen. I am always on the lookout for a good pumpkin recipe, especially this time of year. She found this recipe in a Lion House cookbook.

I thought the cookies were moist and scrumptious! I do think maybe too much coconut and I might add less next time! But I will say these turned out really good and I will keep this recipe!


Pumpkin Haystack Cookies

(from JackandJillskitchen, and Lion House Bakery)
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, softened (I used 1 cup butter flavored crisco & 1/2 cup real unsalted butter)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (16 oz) can solid pack pumpkin
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (I made these optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and set aside. Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add pumpkin, then gradually add the dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts. Scoop batter onto lightly greased cookie sheets and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cookies are firm and lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 4 dozen cookies

No comments: