Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares

This is a light tasting, yummy treat that I found on the pioneerwoman.com. She has a lot of awesome recipes~I don't think I have tried many that I don't like!
I had some leftover lemons and thought this would make a good treat! I am always accused of only cooking/baking things that have chocolate in them! Well here is proof that I do make other things (although chocolate is good with everything right??!)!
This was simple and delicious. Make sure you give yourself time though, it says these are best cold out of the refrigerator!
Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar (packed lightly)
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cups lemon juice (it took about 2 1/2 lemons for me)
  • zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine this with the sugar mixture. Add oats and combine well.

Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch pan. (It didn't say to grease the pan, but I did) Mix together condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture. Top with the other half of the crumb mixture, but don't press down.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Allow pan to sit on counter for 30 minutes after baking. Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool. Serve cool!

No comments: