Sunday, February 7, 2010

Onion Strings

The Pioneer Woman has done it again (and you should check out her site, she makes cooking oh so fun, I just might order her cookbook!) These were so so so so Yummy!!
All I can say is YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY!
I may never make another type of onion ring again! My kids liked them(and didn't even know they were eating onions, since they are sliced so thin and oh so crunchy) and so did everyone else! All I can say is Try them and you will see too how great and Yummy these onion strings are!
Onion Strings
  • 1 whole large onion
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I stayed more on the 1/4 side)
  • 1-2 quarts canola oil (to fry them in)
  • Black Pepper to taste

Slice onion very thin. (If you have a mandolin, this slicing becomes very simple!) Place in a baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 pan) and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour. Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

Heat oil to 375 degrees.

Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.

Repeat until onions are gone!

No comments: