Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I finally decided today to make freezer jam! I bought some strawberries from Costco and made it, really easily and quickly! It is definitely simpler than the other canning method for jam and I really like the fresh fruit taste! I will have to check it tomorrow and hopefully it set up right!
I did read to use the recipe on your Pectin box, I had SUREJEL pectin and used that recipe, but I found this recipe on www.everydayfoodstorage.net and she used MCP Pectin!
So try this one with the MCP pectin or try the recipe in the box!
__________________________
MCP Pectin Freezer Jam
3 1/4 cups prepared fruit (buy about 2 qt. fully ripe strawberries)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 box MCP Pectin
1 cup corn syrup
4 1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
Directions:
RINSE and clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water (I bought BALL freezer containers). Dry thoroughly.
CRUSH strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time (I used a potatoe masher). Measure exactly 3 1/4 cups crushed strawberries into large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. Stir in pectin; let stand 30 min., stirring every 5 min. Stir in corn syrup. Gradually add sugar, stirring until well blended. Stir an additional 3 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy. ( A few sugar crystals may remain.)
FILL all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam in now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year!
Thaw in refrigerator before using.

No comments: