Saturday, September 19, 2009

Oatmeal

I had a few people want the recipe I have come up with for oatmeal. It is good ole oatmeal like you get from the oatmeal packets you buy at the store. I have tried for a while and this is what I came up with for how we like our oatmeal. We are fans of the maple and brown sugar. You can add what ever you like but this is a good base.
(and uses
some food storage items:)

Oatmeal
6 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup powder milk
1 to 1 1/4 cup *sugar
(I put a heaping 1/2 cup brown and heaping 1/2 cup white)
1 tsp salt
Mix all together in a big bowl or container (or #10 can). Keep in an air tight container (I put mine in the fridge but it will stay good for up to 6 months in the cupboard). When serving, stir or shake container. Put 1/2 cup oatmeal in bowl and add 3/4-1 cup boiling water. I never make oatmeal in the microwave, it makes it too hot and always boils over. Just add enough water how you like it and let it sit for about a minute.

Add the following to the whole recipe not just each individual serving-
Maple and Brown sugar: I add 2 T powder maple flavoring. I found this on line at a spice store, if you can't find it or don't want to buy it, add a little maple syrup after it is cooked (and reduce the sugar).

Cinnamon: Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
I have also found at Alison's Pantry you can get mini cinnamon drops and they are just like the cinnamon in cinnamon roll oatmeal packets. They dissolve in the hot water. Yum!

Those are the only types my boys like but you can add raisins or dried apples before the boiling water if you like fruit in your oatmeal.

*you can always go less sugar and add it after it is cooked. If the sugar comes out at my house the boys put way too much on. I'd rather add it how we like it now and keep the sugar in the cupboard!

This makes 14- 1/2 cup servings (before you add water). The packets from the store are about 1/3 cup serving. The powdered milk in this recipe makes it creamy and yum. My family loves it and it is much cheaper to make it yourself. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Michelle Thanks for sharing your creation. My kids love the maple and brown sugar packages too. I am excited to try out your recipe.