Thursday, February 5, 2009

Roasted Vegetables


This recipe is very flexible--I just used the veggies I had on hand. Also, I just guesstimated on the amounts of the vegetables I used (based on what I thought the family would eat). So, first, I'll tell you what I did, then below I've typed the recipe straight as it was written in the magazine.

I used:
potatoes
onions
carrots
celery

Cut up into bite sized pieces and put into a mixing bowl. Then, I tossed 3 tbsp. of olive oil and 4 to 5 smashed cloves of garlic, along with some coarse salt and ground pepper. With the oven at 450 degrees, I baked the veggies for about 40 minutes (the cookie sheet I did cover w/foil).

Here is the recipe as written in the Everyday Food magazine:

2lbs. butternut squash (about 1 medium) seeded, peeled, and cut up
2 lbs. red new potatoes (12 to 14), well scrubbed and quartered
1 lb. medium red onions (about 2 to 3) peeled and quartered
1 lb. carrots (6 to 8), halved lengthwise, if thick, and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
4 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3 tbsp. olive oil
coarse salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide veggies and garlic btwn 2 rimmed baking sheets (lined w/parchment, if desired, for easy clean up); dividing evenly, toss with oil, 2 tsp. coarse salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Roast until veggies are tender and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, tossing them and rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Serve hot or at room temperature. (To store: Let cool, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate up to 3 days. Pour off any accumulated liquid before using.)

No comments: