Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

If you are going to eat mashed potatoes, you should definitely eat them like this! This is definitely not going to fill any New Years resolutions, but like I said if you're going to eat mashed potatoes....

These were soooo yummy, smooth, creamy and my husband didn't once ask where the gravy was (although he may have given up on that question since I usually don't make gravy!!!) or need anything else! These were of course found in my Pioneer Woman cookbook, which I love-have I said that before??
Creamy Mashed Potaoes
(The Pioneer Woman)
  • 5 lbs Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes (I just cut up what I thought my family would eat)
  • 3/4 cups butter
  • 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and it was really good. I used 4 oz cream cheese)
  • 1/2-3/4 cup half and half
  • 1/2-1 tsp Seasoned Salt
  • 1/2-1 tsp Black Pepper

Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. (I usually cut them small so they cook faster!!) Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and then add the potatoes. (I have always put the potatoes into the pot and then boiled the water with the potatoes already in! This was new to me!) Bring to a boil and cook for 30-35 minutes.

When they're cooked through, the fork should slide through easily, with no resistance. She also said the potatoes should almost, but not totally fall apart..

Drain the potatoes in a large colander! (I got one of those over the sink colanders and I can't tell you enought about how much I love it!!!!) When the potaotes have finished draining, place them back in your dry pot, put back on the stove, and turn your heat to LOW! Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients. (I had never done this either, I am sure this adds to the texture.) Once all the lumps are gone and the steam is about gone too, turn the stove off.

Add 1 1/2 sticks of butter (which I didn't add this much), cream cheese, and about 1/2 cup of half-and-half. Mash, Mash, Mash!!!

Now add the seasoned salt and black pepper. Stir well and taste to see if you need to add more. Place in a medium-sized baking dish. Throw a few pats of butter over the top of the potatoes and place them in a 350 degree oven and heat until butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through. (She recommends covering them with foil too!)

NOTE: You can make these in the morning or a few days in advance if you are preparing for a big meal! Take it out of the fridge about 2-3 hours before ready to serve and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes or until warmed through. (I would probably put them in the fridge right before you would bake. Then add the pats of butter right before baking time and go!!)

No comments: